market-farming - [Market-farming] Fall Lettuce was 'Late' Planting of fall/winter crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fall Lettuce was 'Late' Planting of fall/winter crops
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 08:57:53 -0400

Here in Jefferson, Co, WV (NW of DC 60 miles), we used to always get a killing frost the first weekend of October. Hasn't happened the last few years but we still get killed in October and then have WEEKS of balmy Indian Summer until after Thanksgiving.

Here's my 'problem,'

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my lettuce (I grow lettuce all through the summer) simply stopped growing.

I started thinking it had to do with the angle of the sun or the little bit shorter days but another grower told me I was nuts, that my lettuce s.b. growing gangbusters right now. (But, if I remember right, he swore off growing lettuce himself a few seasons back...)

It sure ain't!

How's it doing for other people? (I'm growing Black Seeded Simpson)

BTW THroughout the summer, we start ours in trays in full shade, transplant into  pots in 2 weeks and then put out in another 2 weeks. We keep it plenty moist in the summer and we use Johnny's summer varieties (like Jehrico) We produce sweet, BIG, lettuce all summer.

Now that the weather is better for lettuce, mine is just sitting there!

I don't think I have a fertility problem plus I've been doing foliar fish and kelp weekly.

Times like this I wish I were smart enough to keep a journal!!

Any thoughts w.b. appreciated.

-Allan in WV