market-farming - [Market-farming] Garlic Planting Preparations, Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garlic Planting Preparations, Question
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 14:20:24 -0400

Normally, once cured I simply let the garlic sit till the week I intend pn planting and start breaking them down.  With us finally reaching good numbers for actual production I do not think this will work well anymore.  I would like to break them down earlier to get good counts and sort as best as possible in terms of size and so I can properly separate my production sale beds and my seed beds.

The question is, can I break them down, assuming they are dried correctly, a month before planting without any issues?

It may be a silly question, I just have never done it that way and the more I think about it, probably is not an issue as the seed companies probably have them broken down well in advance as well.

I mainly want to get good details and not be rushed and have something constructive for some of my workers to do on a couple upcoming rain days.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855