market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] NRCS hoophouse program

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] NRCS hoophouse program
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 09:45:16 -0400

In the end I think this simply shows us that the government should help not-for-profit research and studies that are deliberately designed to benefit ALL of us and stop simply handing money out to businesses in hopes to see a return.

It is difficult given our varied growing conditions and climates to offer a one size fits all program.  It is not difficult to provide extremely helpful tools to farmers wanting to build the structures and courses on how to operate and manage growing in them designed by specific research programs for specific climates and locations...and crops.

I think the High Tunnel Program is simply another example of using money in the here and now rather than investing in the future.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855