market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A Farmer's Opinion on NRCS and why its a poor pro gram...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A Farmer's Opinion on NRCS and why its a poor pro gram...
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:41:50 -0400

On Sep 7, 2011, at 8:00 AM, William H Shoemaker wrote:

I think this example represents the dilemma well. If the folks in Washington tightly control the process, they are accused of ignoring local differences. But if they don’t control it from DC, they are accused of not being accountable.

Bill, I think you've got it.

In New York, there's been no requirement to be organic. What you did have to do was promise to grow the same crops both inside and outside the hoophouse for three years, and keep good records so the two could be compared.

There was also limited money available -- I think it came out to about one hoophouse per county in the first round, though I believe more money became available later. Again, if there's not enough money to go around, people complain that some got aided and others didn't; but if it's suggested that more money be added, people complain that too much is being spent: another catch-22.