market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] NRCS from the other end of the spoon!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] NRCS from the other end of the spoon!
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 23:30:00 -0400

On Sep 5, 2011, at 5:46 PM, MAsteveINE wrote:

My, My how this weather is fogging my glasses and I cant see the inner city children who
are learning to grow gardens in vacant lots and roof tops. I am missing how many schools out there are
adding a greenhouse to show the munchkins what a radish is? Cant see the assisted living and
elder care places that give are seniors a chance to get out, stir the soil, and eat fresh produce.
Darn cant even see as far as downtown Bangor where the apartment residents built
gardens on the roof only to have the droopy draws young punks tear them up and heave
them overboard; geeze should I be glad they did not have a season extender to toss
into the street below.
.
.
Decided 3 times to delete before sending this but what the hey. Now why would you want to throw
rocks at my source?
MAsteveINE

Your source started off throwing rocks; rocks based on incorrect information. All I did was try to correct the information.

I would hope that there's other funding available for schools, and for inner city children and assisted living places, and for lots of other reasons. This particular program was intended for farms. It's intended, not only to benefit the farms -- maybe not even primarily to benefit the specific farms that do get grants -- but to gather data, as part of a study which is supposed to compare yields, growing seasons, pesticide use, and nutrient retention when growing by hoop house methods as compared to growing in the open field. In exchange for the grants, a great deal of record keeping and reporting is required.

The information gathered may be highly useful to lots of people, including many who didn't get a grant.

What any of this has to do with vandals in Maine is entirely unclear to me. (Also, if you're referring to the story linked below, I don't know how you can tell the culprits were "droopy draws young punks", as a month after the incident they still apparently had no idea who did it. Might have been a grumpy old guy/gal, for all we know.)