market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] NRCS/ EQIP, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Keith Morris <earthsurfing AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] NRCS/ EQIP, etc.
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 20:30:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

Just figured I'd chime in with my understanding of the NRCS EQIP high tunnel funding...  Yes, it differs by state, but there are some national aspects of EQIP, etc.

You do have to be a 'commercial grower' earning at least $1000.

All applicants are scored and ranked as to who receives the funding.

2009 was the first year 'specialty crops' were eligible for these types of funds- all fruit and vegetables (anything other than grain and large scale meat are 'specialty crops'), a part of the Obama family food initiative.

My understanding is they were looking to get hoop houses subsidized for small growers to support season extension and local food production, and EQIP was simply the easiest vehicle to do this quickly.  (This is why the 'record keeping' may be merely ostentatious.)

Anyway- I too heard about the program early- before my local offices, and was asking them about it before they could answer any questions.

I applied last year and was denied.

A friend within FSA/ NRCS explained that the money is more likely to go to farms that are not engaged in 'best practices' from an ecological/ resource conservation perspective.  Ie- they don't want to hear about my organic practices, reforestation efforts, habitat protection/ enhancement, etc.- they want to hear about where I don't cover crop, soil is eroding, cattle are walking in streams, etc.

At first, I was solely interested in the high tunnels, as we were planning to invest in one anyway, and that is why my application was denied.  It turns out, doing things 'the right way' and asking for 'only what you need' isn't the way to get into the program.

I came back and basically asked for everything they could offer- pollinator buffer support, cover cropping support, stone lined waterway at erosion gully, irrigation assistance, high tunnel, etc. etc.

The more you ask for- the more conservation practices your farm 'needs'- the higher your ranking in their system.

All was funded for 2011.

Also- if anyone is in these programs, I also recommend you check out AMA- the Agricultural Management Act (or something?), which will help fund development of new farmland (ie irrigation for new crop land), as EQIP will only support land already in cultivation.

Also- if you have any conservation plans funded and a contract you are eligible for low interest 'conservation loans', which will fund these projects in advance- and the co-pay- and then 'assign' the federal money.  We got the first in the state, which let me take my time erecting the hoop house after purchase, and not feel the crunch of the outlay required for these cost share programs.  It also let me invest in a much bigger/ better house (although they will only pay for 30 x 72 basic- I can pitch in the difference to upgrade to whatever).

Hope this helps some growers out there!

I was very wary of having any gov't folks nose in my business.  I'm sure it varies tremendously, but our area offices are staffed with excellent people who really 'get it' and want to support farmers to manage their land responsibly.  We've built good relationships, and they are certainly helping us tremendously.

No regrets here.

Best,

Keith Morris
Prospect Rock Permaculture
Design and Education for Ecological Culture
P.O. Box 426
Jeffersonville, VT 05464
Keith AT ProspectRock.org
(802) 734-1129
PRP_Logo.jpg
"If we do not do the impossible, we shall be faced with the unthinkable."
Murray Bookchin (1921-2006)

  • Re: [Market-farming] NRCS/ EQIP, etc., Keith Morris, 09/05/2011