market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planting dates for fall crops in the Northeast

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planting dates for fall crops in the Northeast
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:44:29 -0400

On 11-07-10 02:47 PM, clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com wrote:
> Etienne, aren't you quite a bit further north than us? What is your zone?

Oh yes, I absolutely am. I guess I should have specified that. I am in
zone 4b, 48N, on the coast. Summer here are fairly cool, and
temperature rarely go above 25C for long, which I get is good for
brassica. That being said, I am under the impression the amount of
sunlight is really the deciding factor, hence why I am trying to put my
fall brocolli in ASAP. My guess is that, after mid-September, the sun
will be too low for much growth to happen. So I am trying to get most
of the growth in August, and hope the brocolli stands in the field for a
while. I am still experimenting around, we'll see how it pan out in a
couple months!

I have to say: this stuff is much fun. I love growing. I got depressed
a bit in June because the growth was so slooow, but now that we're
finally having some sun and warmth, the veggies are just jumping out! I
am completely hyped.

Happy growing everyone,

Etienne