market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planting dates for fall crops in the Northeast

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Antoine Gendreau Turmel <fermecouleedouce AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planting dates for fall crops in the Northeast
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 06:54:41 -0400

Etienne is (kinda) right. The low sun and cold temperatures after
mid-september really slow brassica growth but doesn't quite stop it. I have
seen brocolis the size of a golf ball at the end of september growing to the
size of a football by mid-end october.

What's great about fall brocoli here in the northeast (we're in the
st-lawrence valley in Quebec) is that, with the cool nights, the plants are
able to grow big and tight heads and keep them that way for a long period.
Brocoli can resist frosts, but not like cabbage, which resists up to
-10Celcius (14 Fahrenheit).

So, as to planting dates, most of the fall brocoli has already been
transplanted to the field during the last two weeks with the last batch
going in next week. We harvest brocoli every week in september and october
and often a bit in early november.

Antoine G Turmel

Ferme de la Coulée Douce
St-Antoine-de-Tilly, Québec