market-farming - [Market-farming] Can't Sell My Produce (TxBeeFarmer)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Gary Scott <twinspringsfarmva AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Can't Sell My Produce (TxBeeFarmer)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 18:12:12 -0700

Mark,

There are many many factors that impact your ability to sell at markets. The size of the market, demographics of that market, the way the market is managed (producer only that is enforced is one). It also takes time to build a customer base at the market, presentation is important, and of course quality of produce. I have a sales and marketing background prior to trying to build a commercial sustainable produce/berry farm. One thing that I think people do not understand is people do business with people they like and trust, REGARDLESS of the product. I am now one of the top three produce vendors at my main market, and while some other producers are complaining about their sales being down, my sales are up, I set new highs the last three weeks in a row. I was the first vendor with Tomatoes, Potatoes, Peppers. This past weekend I had Corn, Gala Melons and Cantaloupe, could have sold several 100 melons if I had that many.  I am now outselling several vendors that use to outsell me two to one; now it is the other way around. Again, build a customer base within the market.

Being consistent in quality is important, so is being there every week with nice presentation. I have moved away from the table cloths and computer generated signage; gone back to having colorful baskets (most of the produce is in lugs); plain green index cards with the item and price taped to the table. Be on your feet selling, I am talking and selling non-stop... get engaged with buyers as they are walking by, comment on what they are wearing, like sports shirts and caps. I see vendors sitting behind a table looking like they are at a funeral. I see many vendors packing or gone before the market is closed, I am selling AFTER  the market is closed. I have customers that buy from me after the market looking for a "deal" It is not unusual for me to move a good amount of product after the market in bulk, I would rather sell a 1/2 bushel of cucumbers for 30% off than take them home.

--
Gary Scott
Twin Springs Farm

Live like you will die tomorrow… farm like you will live forever !

  • [Market-farming] Can't Sell My Produce (TxBeeFarmer), Gary Scott, 07/10/2011