market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market Prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market Prices
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 22:44:13 EDT

Carla I just really get tired of this family's really cheap prices when the rest of the vendors have had to put up with this for a long time.  Our region has a lot of problems, major flooding currently is really going to very expensive and putting a lot of people out of their homes and our markets have been very low on customer count that is actually spending money to buy food.  A lot of the leavis are breaking today with the 36' level and the old Mud Mo is getting wider every day.  All this mess is heading south at a very rapid rate, look out KC.

I really think they do grow what they are selling, but why sell below wholesale.  What we can't sell at markets go the the local shelters and they actually come to the market at the end of the day to take what vendors wants to donate, needless to say our donations the last two weeks has been quite sizeable.

Has your Broccoli getting any better, we sell broccoli to the farm to school program in Co Bluffs, and Omaha for their summer school programs, and our broccoli will only hold a couple day's this year, I blame this really crazy weather, 100 one day and 60 the next, and lots of rain.  We Hydrocool out of field and bring it down to 34 degrees within 20 min's out of the field, but the heads very quickly turn, new experience for this product for us.

We will have salad mix all summer along with Micro Greens thanks to a shady building I put in the under the willow trees, works better than our shade cloth building.

Phil from Iowa