market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market Prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "maury sheets" <maurysheets AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market Prices
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:28:10 -0400

Phil,

Is this guy growing it all himself?  A 126 cases of lettuce in one week for that market is an awful lot.  I will not lower my prices, but I may leave the market.

If you have better quality, the customers will eventually see it.  I did a market in Red Bank New jersey and we had one vendor selling crap, probably getting it at Hunts Point Market.   He had corn $3.50 dozen mine was $6.00 a dozen.  A woman comes up and asks if I can give a discount and I said I wish I could but it needs to be that much for me to make a profit.  She bought my corn (said mine is so much better) not his.  He eventually closed up.  Hang in there with good quality.

Maury Sheets

Woodland Produce

South Jersey-  where we just connected our photovoltaic power system to the grid (30.82KW to power the house and greenhouse).