market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Summer lettuces

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Summer lettuces
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:49:37 -0400

> Part of the trick to summer lettuce in general is to harvest it young.
> I start lettuce as transplants and do 9 or 10 plantings a year, two to
> three weeks apart; and use shadecloth.

Yeah, I agree here. Do not forget water. Water defeats heat in terms of
changing the flavor.

What we do is is micro to medium in terms of harvest, never letting the
lettuce mature...earlier depending on the variety. I think its also to key
to find other greens to supplement or beef up the texture, color, and flavor.
Call it seasonal...as other varieties do better. Forego lettuce all
together and work a swiss chard, mizuna, micro radish, arugula, micro
Kohlrabi, and micro beet green. Then you bulk up with one or two varieties
of lettuce (we use deer tongue and shanghai red oakleaf which seems to do
well season and do transplants). Right now we also have a nice buttercrunch
variety that is doing very well.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio