market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Summer lettuces

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Summer lettuces
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 21:08:46 -0400

On Jun 13, 2011, at 8:18 PM, Bill Shoemaker wrote:

Does anyone use shadecloth or misting to prevent bolting and gain more maturity in summer lettuce?

Shadecloth, which also helps keep in the moisture, and keep out the deer. It helps with bolting, but doesn't really prevent it.

I probably use it wrong, though, and don't get as much cooling as I ought to: I put it over hoops right down to the ground, just like row cover that's used for frost or insect protection. I gather that this may cause it to build up heat; but I doubt it would keep the deer off if I rolled the sides up.