market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What will you be planting this month?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <list AT seasonseatingsfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What will you be planting this month?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 08:45:46 -0400

>>I'm surprised a bit by the cole crops going in through July. (I'm a
newbie though so lots of things surprise me!) But I thought they would
bolt if exposed to summer heat. If I understood you guys right, you'll
be planting seeds of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels
sprouts with the intention of transplanting them out in 4-6 weeks?

That's what I do. I'm in Maine. Our summers can be very hot (100* days last summer, 90*+ already this year). As long as the plants are forming heads during heat I have no problem with them. I choose varieties that are longer to maturity than the plants I set out in early spring.

>>I'm also a little surprised by the lettuce. I didn't think it would
grow in July-August heat?

Joe
Boone County,. IA
5a

Choose varieties that do well in heat and watch them closely. Keep them well watered.  Anuenue is one of my favorite summer varieties.

Robin
Seasons Eatings Farm
Talmadge, ME 04492