market-farming - [Market-farming] Clearing old growth/ with no cool!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Clearing old growth/ with no cool!
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 14:15:44 -0400

The problem is I cannot get the plow to sit correctly at the hitch. The machine will pull to the right, the furrow is uneven. Just a poor job. In what little window there has been I have only managed to clear perhaps a half acre or so. And now more rain again this week.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

"Machine will pull to the right", if you ment that it it is skidding

right or pulling the front to the right more than steering will correct;

add front weight.

Otherwise, with no idea as to what your rig looks like:

--Put the tractor and plow on a flat area,

--jack the front and rear left side and set it on +- six inches of blocking.

(the position of the tractor when plowing with the right wheels in the furrow)

--lower the plow.

--At this point the plow should be setting in its working position:

--the landside should be (depending on plow size" 10 0r 12 inches

  to the right of the inside of the right tire.

--the plow should be sitting level and straight with the direction of travel.

--the point of the plow should be at an angle which will (slightly) pull the front of the

  plow downward. (suck for a plow is a good thing, it means it will pull itself

  into the soil)

Then take it to the fieldand with someone else driving see what it is doing and why,

with old sod you will want the coulter down as far as possible without hitting the plow share.

Look and adjust, run at a brisk walk, too slow may not lay the furrow over properly.

Do not expect much better result with new to you tractors and plows which may or

 may not have been designed to run together.  Tuition is too darn high at this time of year.

MAsteveINE