market-farming - [Market-farming] Clearing old growth.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jimi Demetriou" <jimi.demetriou AT gmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Clearing old growth.
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 10:24:52 -0400

I all,

Looking for some advice.

We have a little over 5 acres that we have just got on back in march. The land has not been turned in many years but has been mowed down every year, so nothing too large in diameter.

I have been using an smaller 18hp simplicity with a sleeve hitch bottom plow. Mowed it low, then ran through with the plow. Followed with a bcs tiller, did a lot of hand raking then finished with another till a few days later.

The problem is I cannot get the plow to sit correctly at the hitch. The machine will pull to the right, the furrow is uneven. Just a poor job. In what little window there has been I have only managed to clear perhaps a half acre or so. And now more rain again this week.

We are working on a small budget and need some return to be viable. There are a few tractors (Hs, 9ns) in the area in the $2k range I have been contemplating. The purchase will put us over more than I would like but it can be worked. I have asked a few folks in the area if they were interested in the work and put up wanted ads on the classifieds. Seems like everyone is too busy with their own work.

The question is will putting the money into  a larger machine really get things cleared more efficiently or should I accept the slow progress?