market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Clearing old growth.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Clearing old growth.
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 10:02:21 -0500

Jimi,

In my humble opinion, something in the horsepower range of a 2N, 9N, or 8N
will not be enough horsepower to do what you want to do unless it has been
beefed up considerably with a 6(or8)-cylinder engine conversion or Sherman
transmission mod or something like that. As Mr. Brabo pointed out, something
with more horsepower and/or 4wd for pulling a heavier duty plow, tiller,
disc, etc. would make relatively short work of opening up your new fields.
It would be worth the investment to get the bigger machine if you needed this
type of power on a regular basis, otherwise Mr. Brabo's advice to find
somebody with a larger machine to barter with or outright pay is your best
bet. Something with considerably more hp is going to cost a lot more than
$2k most likely unless it is a real "fixer upper".

In addition to craigslist, try to find antique tractor clubs in your area.
There are always old tractor enthusiasts looking for a reason to work their
old iron. Also see if your local tractor dealers have bulletin boards where
you can post for help wanted, as well as other local tractor mechanic shops.

Good luck, I'd do it for you if I was closer!

Laurie
Barking Cat Farm