market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cardboard egg cartons

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cardboard egg cartons
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 05:45:28 -0800

I asked my local supermarket manager if we could put a box in the entrance to his store for recycled cartons. He suggested instead that I buy new ones from him at his cost of $20 for 250. (One size only.) He even offered to drop them by the farm on his way home from work! (He is a new neighbor I took a gift of eggs to last year.) They come from his factory farm supplier with his store name already on them so he can repackage eggs that are in a carton with a damaged egg.
According to state regs, we obliterate info from a previous seller (except safe handling instructions) with our own label, anyway. Most people like that we reuse (clean) cartons--it's more ecofriendly and "farmy" than ones that don't seem to be re-used.

The manager didn't want to clutter up his storefront, and I realized that other people may get all the cartons or that I might get too many to deal with. If we took the box away, people would be bummed when they went to the store expecting to drop off cartons, and have to take them home again. When Farmer's Market starts up in May, people will bring cartons to us there anyway.

Vern
Vern's Veggies and More!