market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing Small Grains for CSA and Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing Small Grains for CSA and Market
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:57:34 -0500 (EST)

Robin, I attended a small scale small grains growing project here in Western WA state last September.  The regional head of our Ag Research Service waxed poetic about all the benefits of growing small grains on the farm, as feed, as market crop and as rotation crop. It was a standing-room-only class already, and I suspect he was preaching to the choir.  But if there were any folks in the crowd who were still unconvinced, his next statement sorta hit that proverbial ball out of the park.  I paraphrase here from memory:
"Now, I recently overheard some colleagues out in Maine bragging that they were going to BE the small grains revival in this country.  And I thought to myself, 'I'll bet we can do a better job of it than they can.'  So, what say you people?  Can we out-grow New England???"  The man should have been a preacher because he was getting Hallelujiah's from the crowd at that point.

So in all good friendly spirit, GAME ON!  But I'll offer to share whatever we've learned with The Other Team.  I'd love to see everyone hit homer's on this one.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA