market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Chicken feed - growing grains for
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:43:34 -0800

I used to grow my own wheat, corn and soybeans for chickens. The soy must be
roasted so I gave up on soy.
I got it ground and mixed with suppliments at the local feed mill. Feeding
grains alone doesn't provide a balanced diet. Unless you have a neighbor with
a combine (as I did), you will need to grow enough to make custom harvesting
worthwile. Custom harvesting costs around $20-30 an acre if you have a lot of
acres few guys will come for a garden patch crop. You will need a good way to
dry the crop. Storage can be as simple as galvanized garbage cans for small
grains and crib for corn. I used to grind my own feed with an old WW grinder
compost maker. The kind they used to sell in the 1970's OG magazine. At the
very least buy feed from a rite proper feed mill and buy bulk stay away from
those outlets that cater to hobby farmers they are a big rip off... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.