market-farming - [Market-farming] dealing with soil crusting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: idyllwild farm <idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] dealing with soil crusting
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:52:11 -0500

A big challenge for us this past Summer in our KY clay soils, especially in the heat and dry,
was soil crusting over our direct seeded crops.

Aside from getting more water on these areas, to keep the crust soft and the seeds germinating
and growing, I was wondering if anyone had any tricks?

I was thinking that maybe a concrete roller tamper to break up the crust or row cover to keep it from
forming might work, short term.

Long term, we're working on improving our soil structure with green manures and rotation strategies.

Thanks,
Mike
Idyllwild Farm
N. KY