market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] dealing with soil crusting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] dealing with soil crusting
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:35:26 -0500

Mike - We have heavy clay soils although we are biodynamic and many of my soils have 7 to 10% og asd measured on Logan Lab soil tests after 8 years of biodynamic management (lots of compost and cover crops)

We still get soil crusting.

A long time ago I decided to deal with this with portable 100 ft long sprinkler set upt which I turn on several times a day to keep the beds moist until the seedlings have emerged and substantially afterwards.

Seems to work well and if you plan your plantings hauling around the sprinkler string doesn't have to be that much hassle.

We use burlap on carrot seedlings and on beet seedings

Good Luck

-Allan in WV