market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Any demand at market for fresh soybeans?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Any demand at market for fresh soybeans?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:16:39 -0600

There were 3 growers at our small-town market that grew them this year. None of us knew that anyone else would be growing them. As it turned out, the first person who brought them to market sold them ALL to one person--her entire crop ON the plant.  That is, she didn't pick the pods off of the plant--she brought the entire plant to the market and sold it in "bunches" with the pods still on the plant.  One person came and asked her how much for the entire crop and she bought all she had.  I was skeptical that anyone would buy it this way, but they did.

The other two growers (me and another grower) both sold it, but with only so-so success.  What I have done with "new" crops like this is give away samples to my regular customers to take home with them.  So even if I didn't sell much this year, I'm hopefully building clientele for next year's crop.  Especially true for edamame since it's all ready at once, so it's not like I can keep bringing it back every week. It held for me for about 3 weeks in the refrigerator.  I didn't leave mine on the plant--we picked off the pods, but we did leave them in the pods.

At a larger city market where I was, however, it has been selling well.  Customers there (who have a big-name chain health food store) know what it is and are buying it there.

Beware, though, that the deer love it.

--Leslie