market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] The August Blues/ Everything Solanaceous

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] The August Blues/ Everything Solanaceous
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:24:02 -0700

I have 60+ plants growing on black plastic mulch strips ~3' wide ground coverage.  Occasionally, I have to poke small holes to let water drain through the plastic.  I gently lift the stems, so that I can "sweep" the berries out off the mulch, then sort out the junk.  I sell them at farmers markets for $2.50/pt. unhusked.  Most people love them.  I grow the pruinosa variety from Fedco.  I haven't tried any other type.

Kurt Forman
Clearview Farm
Palmyra, NY 14522