market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] The August Blues/ Everything Solanaceous

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] The August Blues/ Everything Solanaceous
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:41:12 -0400

On 10-08-24 11:34 AM, Burke Farm wrote:
> Are any of you hot weather types growing ground cherry/ husk cherry?

I am not growing them commercially myself, but I am interning on a farm
where they are being grown under an Haygrove tunnel. The yeld is
absolutely outstanding, and the taste is great, very sweet. the
challenge appears to collect them for harvest. Since the fruit is ripe
when it fall off the plant, it can be a bit difficult to pick. One
trick is to lay down a geotextile at the base of the plant which you
then fold and funnel into a container. You can then sort through the
container and remove the debris and spoiled fruits.

Personally, I have been growing "physalis peruviana" instead of pruinosa
in my home garden. The yeld is much lower, and the harvest is later,
but the quality is much, much better. The fruits are about 50% bigger,
have less seeds and a completely different, more exotic, flavor. I like
the peruviana better, although I am not sure whether it would make sense
to grow them commercially given the yeld. But those that likes to grow
ground cherry should try the peruviana and see for themselves.

Cheers,

Etienne (5b up North near Montreal)