market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato harvesting questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato harvesting questions
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:11:51 -0400

On Aug 24, 2010, at 12:35 PM, <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com> <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com> wrote:

You could offer the ripe, less than perfect 'maters at a reduced price for canning.  Larger quantities, like 4 or 8 qt. baskets might be more appropriate in that case.

Kurt Forman
Clearview Farm
Palmyra, NY 14522

I do and get few takers-not a lot whole lot of interest in canning around here yet. And most want the perfect maters ($25 for a 20 pound box). So I can most the 2nds for my own use and continue to pick most my mater well before they are dead ripe and store them in an AC room to ripen. I find this especially important for certain heirlooms that will crack and split if allowed to ripen on the vine but ripen up perfectly if pulled when blushing.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH