market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato harvesting questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lova Andriamanjay <lova.andriamanjay AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato harvesting questions
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 22:12:35 -0400

It could be just bruise that occured while harvesting or during transport if the fruits are really ripe. It could also be anthracnose (see http://wihort.uwex.edu/fruitveggies/Tomato05.htm ). This year I started harvesting many tomatoes not so ripe (fully deep orange-red instead of a deep red) and was surprised to see that many people are choosing the less ripe tomatoes over the really ripe ones. It also allows people to buy more tomatoes since they won't have to eat them all so fast to prevent them from rotting.

Lova Andriamanjay