market-farming - [Market-farming] Tomato harvesting questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Tom <tomsgardens AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tomato harvesting questions
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying a few tomatoes to add to my offerings this year and here's a simple beginner's question for you.  At what stage should I pick tomatoes for sale at a local farmers' market?  I think I may have waited too long for my first picking, thinking that they should be as ripe as possible.  They are pretty, but more than a few have a few small darker red areas that are a little soft.  Are they just a little over-ripe, or is something else likely to be going on?  It doesn't really look nasty and haven't seen anything like it in photos of tomato disorders.

Also, I have yellow shoulders on some fruit.  Does this generally make them unsalable, or can I just sell them separately at a lower price?

Tom at Tom's Gardens
Cut Flowers & Veggies
Northern Lower Michigan