market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Yard Long Beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Yard Long Beans
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 18:32:12 -0500

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 08:05:27PM +0000, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:
> I've never grown, or eaten yard long beans. Do they taste similar to green
> beans? I've certainly got the heat to grow them!

Someone looking for a "regular" green bean, such as Kentucky Wonder,
is likely to be disappointed. They are not better or worse, just
different. They do sell well to asians. In this season, with
absolutely no real green bean competition, they are not too hard to
sell. It IS too late to plant them now.

We've had several weeks of hundred and near hundred degree weather and
mine are just hitting their stride. The long beans tend to get over
mature quickly; the shell gets thin and tough, the seeds mature, and
they do not snap. If I can feel the bean through the shell, it is
probably too old. I have a variety this year that has a crinkly
shell that can be picked larger than most varieties. Wish I
remembered it's name. :-(

I use tunnels for tomato cages. 10' sections of remesh bent in a U
shape, about 15"-20" tall and about 15"-20" wide. They are easier to
place, remove and store than individual cages. I can herbicide down
old tomatoes and weeds, then plant long beans or other crops needing
some support along the edges of the tunnels. With a little bit of
luck, the crop mostly shades out weeds. I have some volunteer
cantaloupe that are doing fairly well on these cages. Every once in a
while, I walk down the row and throw escaping vines back on top of the
cage.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 164 days 12 hours 13 minutes