market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hoophouse insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <bullrunfarm AT hughes.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hoophouse insurance
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:58:56 -0400

Thanks for the post, Brigette. I, for one, wasn't mad about my lack of coverage. The possibility of snow damage to my greenhouses, before last winter, didn't seem a possibility here in Virginia. Along with meteorite damage it wasn't something I worried about having insurance for (the possibility of snow damage in Virginia is sort of like, I suppose, tropical hurricane damage in Michigan). Now that I have been made painfully aware of it happening I'm not only looking at insurance but also at the carrying load of the houses I buy in the future.

The question I asked was about getting insurance for ice and snow damage to unheated greenhouses. I asked Farm Bureau for coverage (yes, a special rider to my farm policy) and while they would insure for fire and theft they denied snow and ice coverage because the agent was told Farm Bureau does not cover unheated greenhouses. In your post you don't say, does your greenhouse coverage include ice and snow damage to unheated greenhouses?

thanks, Leigh in Northern Virginia

Coverage depends on which company you are insured with. My houses are covered by my Farm Bureau farm owners (not homeowners) policy, but I am in a different state than you. Michigan has literally thousands of greenhouses, so our insurance company is accustomed to dealing with them. Have you asked about special riders and what the cost might be for a rider?

Your post provokes me to remind everyone not to assume you have certain coverage and then get mad at the insurance company when a claim is denied. Check your policy before you have a loss, not after. Most policies are clear on what is covered and what isn't if we take the time to read it and ask questions of the agent.

Brigette
SW Michigan