market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Late Blight

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Deb Taft <growbd AT aol.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Late Blight
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 09:26:06 -0400

Here's the latest Late Blight report via NOFA NY:

Weekly Late Blight Update: Status in New York and the Contiguous States and Canadian Provinces
Courtesy of Abby Seaman of the NYS IPM Program:
New reports the week of 6/22-29:
Reported on 6/24:  Late blight has been confirmed in tomatoes on an organic farm in Harrison County, OH.  Harrison County is in east/central Ohio, one county west of the Pennsylvania border.
New reports the week of 6/15-22:
On 6/19 late blight was reported on tomato in a community garden in north central Suffolk County, NY.  The gardeners were taking out all their tomato and potato plants.
On 6/17 late blight was confirmed on tomato from a home garden in New Haven County, CT.  The plants had been grown from seed by the gardener.
Outside our reporting area, a 6/21 find on potato in Michigan.
Previous reports (most recent first):
The week of 6/8-15 there were two additional late blight reports in Pennsylvania.  Both were on tomato transplants in home gardens.  One find was in Somerset Co. (south central PA), on a plant purchased at a local greenhouse.  The other was from Beaver Co. (near the Ohio border), unknown source.
Late blight was found in a greenhouse in northwestern Pennsylvania in mid-May.  It was being monitored and treated to prevent spread.

A compilation of online resources for late blight identification and management can be found here.

Fingers crossed for everyone to avoid it this year.

Deb
Sleepy Hollow NY