market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Late Blight

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Late Blight
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:00:01 -0400

Here's thanks to all who responded to my last posting about Late Blight on tomatoes, and a follow-up.

There's a great webinar at http://www.extension.org/article/28346
It consists of several short you-tubes, and the site has links too.

What has happened here since the beginning of the holiday weekend, when we realized we might have LB, is that we did a lot of research, and spent hours snipping and bagging affected leaves. We alerted our neighboring growers. We sent a sample into our extension office but they said it could take 2 or 3 weeks to get a diagnosis. Hmmm. We brewed some compost tea and sprayed that once. We had a sequence of very hot dry days at 100F or more. We seem to be gaining ground. We have learned a lot about this disease, and we are still hopeful of beating it.

I agree with what others said about being mindful of this as a community threat. We won't be leaving dying plants to sporulate over the 25 miles downwind!

There are DIY test kits available from Agdia, inc., and www.sgbio.com in Canada. I'm looking into those.

Anybody got more insights to add?

Pam, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA