market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hail damaged drip tape?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynnn AT wildblue.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hail damaged drip tape?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:33:40 -0600

Way behind on email here... we had hail last year and it was weeks later
before we figured out the problem. First off we had a couple more rains and
didn't use it for a while, then just thought we had pinholes, but as soon as
we'd splice one hole another would appear. FINALLY we figured out the
problem when my son noticed that most of the leaks were around the emitters
- we were using Netafim last year and they're really proud of these inline
emitters instead of just having breaks in the seam for dripping. But every
place where a hailstone hit one of those emitters it developed a leak. That
was 8 mil tape.
This year we borrowed a tape layer and buried all of it except what we're
using on transplants. I'm sure that will have its own set of problems.
We're using 8 mil again this year and I got it from Irrigation Mart - great
service! May go to 6 mil next year based on what you said Carla. For several
years we tried to save and reuse - mostly heavier weights but it's just not
worth all the problems it creates.
Marcy
SE Colo