market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hail damaged drip tape? and perfection

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hail damaged drip tape? and perfection
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 02:21:26 EDT

I have to just smile at all this.  I was muttering on another list (OK, I was whining on several other lists) that we have yet to see 75F here this year (and I wonder why my basil is so depressed).  I can hear yet more rain coming down as I type.  I think we've had more rain in the last 2 months, when we're typically drying out, than we had in the two months prior to that.  I don't think we got above 60F today, and we've actually had a fire going in the woodstove since about 10am when I realized it wasn't going to warm up.  <pout>

And then I'll read something about corporate cube politics or urban blight or farmland being paved over, or any of a host of modern-day ugliness.  I'll look 'round my muddy little rattletrap of a farm, and think well, it's not Martha Stewart.  But the goat kids are cute and healthy, the rosemary is outdoing itself this year, someone just gave me an enormous thyme planting, and by some miracle we have nice corn this year.  I wake up to the sound of roosters and cows instead of ambulances and car alarms.  Given all that, I think I'll keep the rain.  But some sun would sure be nice too, if anyone has it to spare.    :)
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 6/15/2010 8:46:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, organic87 AT frontiernet.net writes:

On Jun 15, 2010, at 10:37 PM, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:

> Some day our farm will be perfect. There will be no Johnson grass.
> There will be no weeds anywhere. Perfect rows. Perfectly straight.
> Amazing yields. Precisely one inch of rain each week.

No morning glory. No Canada thistle. Only enough lambsquarters and
amaranth and purslane to harvest for greens. And that one inch of rain
will arrive politely between midnight Saturday and dawn on Sunday,
spread out evenly over that time.

It will positively not rain every Wednesday afternoon and Saturday
morning, which is when we're at farmers' market. Open-air farmers'
markets.

-- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 5 mostly (where the forecast is for
rain tomorrow / Wednesday. Again. But at least they're not predicting
10 inches!)