market-farming - [Market-farming] interesting article in local magazine

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] interesting article in local magazine
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 23:32:54 EDT

There was an article this week in our region's Seattle Magazine, which asked the question "How many farmers' markets are too many???"  The article is very much geared towards Seattle and King County in particular, but I think it's a really interesting question in general.  The original article is here:

I imagine these kinds of conversations are going on not just here but in other areas around the country.  Of particular note in my own county (which is the next county north from King County), there are not one but two groups right now trying to put together a game plan for a year-round, indoor, all-day-every-day farmers market similar to our southern neighbor the Pike Place Market.  Jury's out on whether either of them will succeed, for a wide variety of reasons.  To be honest I'm not sure what to think about how many would be too many markets.  There's pro's and con's.  But since so many folks here are very involved with farmers' markets and other direct marketing options, I'd love to know what y'all think.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA