market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] interesting article in local magazine

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] interesting article in local magazine
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 16:05:12 -0400

I agree that there are only so many actual growers. I go to two markets and basically the same growers show up there. There are at least 6 in my "workable area" and more are showing up. There are more markets than there is produce to sell. These markets do get the "one market only" extremely small growers showing up and there is the misrepresentative "growers" reselling what they got at a wholesale market elsewhere. Yep, and some markets allow all kinds of food prep vendors and other sundry stuff to be sold as well. It has turned into a "circus quality" bizarre without end for the most part and a social event as well.

Like anything else unless one begins to define the extremes, the middle lacks definition. However, capitalism was built on letting the weak perish and the strong survive---------let the system define itself through existence. Some of these farmers markets are crazes built on many different concepts of the organizing parties.

There are numerous other outside factors playing into this as well.

IMO, the "feeding frenzy" of this trend will be replaced with something else and the farmers markets will hopefully settle into something reasonable if left alone. Like all others working through farmers markets, I know which ones I won't attend for various reasons--------it will take a couple of years before the dust settles on this.

Why do people have this need to control something that is more than capable of doing that itself?

Pam
SC