market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Canopy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Unschooler AT lrec.org, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Canopy
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 21:13:12 -0400

On May 26, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Leslie Moyer wrote:

I need to buy a canopy for the market. E-Z Up is what most vendors
around here have.....mostly because it's accessible locally, I think.
But they get *really* bad reviews on Amazon.com and I've never really
seen one that operates well after a few uses. I already know not to go
with the cheapest model, but most here seem to have the second- cheapest
model and after that, they scale up in price pretty quickly. Any
thoughts? Other suggested brands?

E-Z Up makes quite good market tents; but the trick may be not to buy them locally, at least depending on who's selling them locally. (I am a huge buy-local advocate, but "local" for items like this may mean "local branch of huge chain".) There was a long discussion on, I think, this list (though it may have been another one) some time ago, which sounded as if the versions of E-Z up being sold in the big-box stores are not as good as the ones being sold by some other dealers, even though they've got the same brand name on it. I've been pleased with my E-Z Up which came from Van Raalte & Co. They ship quite fast.

http://www.ezup4u.com/

The home user models are, it's true, not as good as the professional models, and I really would recommend a professional model for market use. (I started with the home user Dome and quickly moved up to the Speed Shelter; I wanted that particular shape for an odd spaced market stall.) I don't know whether some other company is selling equivalent quality for less money, which is possible; but if you're looking primarily for cheap, you may have trouble also getting quality.

I've been using the Speed Shelter once or twice a week for six years now. Still works fine.