market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Twine & Foliar Feeding

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Twine & Foliar Feeding
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 09:17:40 -0500

Greetings,

We have been using untreated sisal, it was originally three strand, but that would not tie, so we split it. It lasts my long season, from April to November in the hot humid gulf coast.

However, I don't do a florida weave, I deal with very high winds, like 80 and 90 mph, so I use remesh, t-posts, and bamboo cross pieces and just use the sisal for training the plants to the 'trellises'.

Bright Blessings,
Garth & Kim Travis
www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
Bedias, Texas

Road's End Farm wrote:

My experience with untreated jute twine is that it will stretch some, but not very much; and that it doesn't deteriorate till well after the season is over. That last might vary with location, I suppose. I find the nuisance of the minor stretching is less than the nuisance of having to get all the plastic twine out of the field and trash instead of compost it -- if some of natural twine stays in the field it doesn't matter.

There are different qualities and strengths of jute (and some of it is treated); you do need to be careful what to get.