market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] product insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] product insurance
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 15:34:34 -0400

On May 12, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:

Greetings,

I just got off the phone with our market manager, an expensive
conversation. Apparently, the insurance company that underwrites the
market informed the market that they would not longer cover the market
unless all vendors have product insurance of 1,000,000. Are any other
markets experienceing this?

This has gotten very common around here; although there are some markets still not requiring it, many of them do, either for the market's own insurance or because the insurance company of the owner of the property the market's on requires it.

They have found an agent that has the coverage for $350/ year and it
covers all markets you do. Is this a good price?

Might depend on your area. I was able to get coverage that would name a third party for two hundred plus; but there's an additional charge per each market named, so if you do a lot of markets that might add up. Also, I have a farmowners policy in addition from the same insurance company that covers other aspects of my operation, and that might be affecting the price. Also prices in Texas might run different from those in New York.

We have a backyard growers corner in our market, the $350 a year will
knock that out. The manager and I are wondering if there are any
blanket policies to be had, that will cover a group of growers for a
reduced cost per grower. Do any markets have such a thing?

That I don't know about. Maybe the backyard growers could combine themselves into one vendor and split the cost? I don't know what they'd have to go through to convince the insurance company to write them one policy for all of them, though.

If you do find something that will work, one of the markets I sell it might be interested, as we had a couple of potential vendors who wouldn't join at least partly for this reason; but I don't know whether what you find (if anything) in Texas would be available in New York.

The good news is another beautiful ewe lamb arrived this AM.

Baaaaa! Hope baby and mama are nursing well.