market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] good mottos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ipa.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] good mottos
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 13:54:02 -0500

Hi Nan -

You're in East Texas now? Cool. I get over that way sometimes.

We used to say around ATTRA "that if you want to see what large-scale
implementation of sustainable agriculture will look like, wait until the price
of nitrogen fertilizers triples".... implying that going local for nitrogen from legumes,
sod-based rotations, crop-livestock, soil biology concoctions, crushed rocks,
etc.... will become the norm, out of necessity.

A couple years ago fertilizers went over $1000/ton and farmers up
and down farm country -- and their bankers -- got an eye-full of
the future, then they dropped back down.... at least temporarily.

Meanwhile, the oil spill in the Gulf looms as the Monster Disaster.

Fyi, the Fall-Winter-Spring growing season down here is awesome.

Steve Diver
Austin, TX

Nan Hildreth wrote:
Kathryn,

I believe more folks like you will go into market farming as
unemployment rises from our failing economy. My Texas oil pro pals
say things like "declining oil production will end economic
growth". The good news is when the price of oil goes up a bit, the
price of food goes up a lot. Every calorie of factory food requires
maybe ten calories of oil. www.harpers.org/archive/2004/02/0079915