market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] product insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] product insurance
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 09:31:31 -0500

Greetings,
Julia called me yesterday, hoping I could find a solution for everyone, about 70% of the growers do not have product insurance at this time. We have until the end of June to figure this out. I will call about the Farmer's market insurance, that will probably be our cheapest answer.
Bright Blessings,
Garth & Kim Travis
www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
Bedias, Texas

Nan Hildreth wrote:
I sell at the same market as Kim and Garth but in that "backyard growers corner" with other folks just starting out. I heard mention of this 3 weeks ago. I asked one of the bosses if we little growers could affiliate legally and split the cost. He said "It might work". Producers marketing co-op? I'd love to include Kim and Garth as I owe them favors. Will some insurance company go for it? How much of a burden will the paperwork of "becoming a formal entity" be? $300 if we do much of the work ourselves?

How can we be inclusive to take this barrier down for the new people? Two new vendors in the backyard growers area last Sat. Both were testing the market for larger scale growing.

Nan in Texas