market-farming - [Market-farming] New farmers was good mottos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nan Hildreth <NanHildreth AT riseup.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New farmers was good mottos
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 17:32:58 -0500

Resources for farm start-up on ATTRA. Neato!
Includes "should I incorporate?" mushroom growing advice, risk management, etc.
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/local_food/startup.html

Thanks to Steve for mentioning ATTRA

Nan in East Texas

At 01:54 PM 5/12/2010, Steve Diver wrote:
Hi Nan -

You're in East Texas now? Cool. I get over that way sometimes.

We used to say around ATTRA "that if you want to see what large-scale
implementation of sustainable agriculture will look like, wait until the
price
of nitrogen fertilizers triples".... implying that going local for
nitrogen from legumes,
sod-based rotations, crop-livestock, soil biology concoctions, crushed
rocks,
etc.... will become the norm, out of necessity.

A couple years ago fertilizers went over $1000/ton and farmers up
and down farm country -- and their bankers -- got an eye-full of
the future, then they dropped back down.... at least temporarily.

Meanwhile, the oil spill in the Gulf looms as the Monster Disaster.

Fyi, the Fall-Winter-Spring growing season down here is awesome.

Steve Diver
Austin, TX

Nan Hildreth wrote:
> Kathryn,
>
> I believe more folks like you will go into market farming as
> unemployment rises from our failing economy. My Texas oil pro pals
> say things like "declining oil production will end economic
> growth". The good news is when the price of oil goes up a bit, the
> price of food goes up a lot. Every calorie of factory food requires
> maybe ten calories of oil. www.harpers.org/archive/2004/02/0079915