market-farming - [Market-farming] packaging

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] packaging
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 07:22:24 -0500

Greetings,

Being a sustainable farm, I do not want to run a CSA that adds a bunch of trash to the landfill. We are looking for re-usable containers for our produce, that can be returned to us and packed again. Does anyone else operate this way? Any ideas?

Walmart has coolers for $1.88, I am making terry towel bags to go over the cold packs, that can be washed each week. My biggest concern is how to deal with loose leaf lettuce heads and other greens.

Does anyone know the health issues of using cloth bags?

--
Bright Blessings,
Garth & Kim Travis