market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flood report from Tennessee

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sisters of the Soil <2soilsisters AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flood report from Tennessee
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 11:30:38 -0600

Carla,

Your "pick yourself up and dust yourself off" attitude is inspiring.  I wish you, and the others experiencing this flood hardship, the very best of luck in recovering from it.

I, also, join in encouraging you to apply the "share the risk" CSA principal to your dealings with your members.  It's a core premise of CSA that the members share some risk with the farmers and there is no clearer example than your current situation of an impact entirely outside of your control.  Were you at fault in some way for the "lack" the membership might experience this season, it might be another matter but this one is clearly "act of God", as the insurance policies would say, and I suspect most, if not all, of the members will readily understand and support you in that approach.

Kind regards,

Doreen
Sisters of the Soil
Boise, ID