market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Driptape repairs and also Asparagus beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Driptape repairs and also Asparagus beetles
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 23:44:03 -0400

On Apr 17, 2010, at 10:48 PM, Richard Stewart wrote:

Electrical tape will only work if  you are running at low PSI.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855

Drip tape, at least the drip tape I'm using, also only works at low PSI -- it's designed for 10 PSI and connections are likely to start coming apart if the pressure gets over about 20 (I can't say exactly as I rarely now bother with gauges in the system, but I did have gauges at a number of locations the first couple of years and the drop in my gravity fed system hasn't changed). I once out of curiosity hooked a short length of drip tape more or less directly to a hose bibb and the tape itself promptly split apart at the seam -- pressure would have been 40 to 55 depending on where the pump was in the cycle.

I find that electrical tape holds pretty well in the 10 to 20 range -- the repaired bits will leak, but only at about the rate of an emitter or not much above.