market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Driptape repairs and also Asparagus beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Driptape repairs and also Asparagus beetles
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:55:25 -0400

Hi,

Can't say what Pam is using for sure, but the black electrical tape is what
I've always used, just as Pam describes, for repairing small holes in drip
tape -- just did a bunch of it on Wednesday. If you start a couple inches
back from the hole, overlap a good 50%, and go a couple inches past the
hole, I often find that a single layer will eliminate the leak, or at least
reduce it to the same level as an emitter. It's amazing how well it sticks
-- I just give the driptape a wipe with my hand to take off any large pieces
of soil, straw, or whatever, and just start wrapping over the muddy water,
trying not to get sprayed in the face. Up here you can buy multiple rolls of
tape in a pack, and I throw a roll on the tractor, in the truck, harvest
trailer, by the irrigation pump, every pocket I can find...nothing's more
annoying than spotting a leak and not having tape nearby to fix it!

Rob Wallbridge
Songberry Organic Farm
24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0
email: rob AT songberry.ca
web: www.songberry.ca
facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"