market-farming - [Market-farming] Winter Cabbage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Winter Cabbage
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:55:50 -0500

We tried a new cabbage from Johnny’s last fall called Deadon.  It is a beautiful red Savoy in the pictures, but it disappointed us.  Just didn’t make heads…until now!  It actually made it through the winter – and we had a bad winter for us – and is now making beautiful red heads.  Kinda nice to have cabbage ready to harvest when our spring planting has only been in the ground for 3 weeks. This fall, we’ll know to plant it in a place where it can stay all winter, and next spring, we’ll have a lot of REALLY early cabbage.

If you live in a region with reasonable winter weather, you might want to give it a try.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm, SC KY