market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hatfield Transplanter (was Transplanting Leeks)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynnn AT wildblue.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hatfield Transplanter (was Transplanting Leeks)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:52:06 -0600

We love ours!  Soft and fluffy would probably work better, but our soil has lots of clods and we just push it to one side.  It doesn’t work well if the soil is too wet – at least in our clay. We found that out when we turned on the drip lines to transplant tomatoes by the emitters and had it running for a couple hours before we got to that row.  Now we turn the valve on when we get to that row, then it’s easy to spot the emitter and where to plant.

Might depend on your help situation. My boys ran it and did great. So instead of doing one flat per  hour with 5 of us working, two of them did 6 or 8 flats in two hours.

Marcy

SE Colo hit 81 today