market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sweet potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sweet potatoes
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:04:37 -0400

On Mar 15, 2010, at 10:33 AM, beverly henkel wrote:

Sweet Potatoes- I have some in water and the roots are starting.  Can I use these as my sweet potatoes starts and how?  Cut them into pieces that include roots and plant in peat pots?  Bev.

First, are they a variety suited to your area? Your post doesn't say where you are; if you're up north you need a variety that doesn't need an overly long growing season. Also, if they weren't sold for seed, try and be sure they're not carrying any diseases.

If you do want to grow your slips from them, I would leave them whole. They will produce green shoots, which may or may not start to grow their own roots, but will in either case "slip" off the parent plant. Take these slips and put them in water until it's time to plant them; the ones that have no roots will grow some while they're in the water. (You can plant even slips with no roots at all, most of them will grow.) Leave some shoots on the parent potato so it can keep growing, it'll produce more slips (some varieties produce more slips than others.)

If the slips start growing really long, you can cut the ends off and put those in water to root, also.