market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] smother cover crop under sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] smother cover crop under sweet corn
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:45:07 EDT

I have tried clover as a smother crop but it is to slow growing in our area to make it work.  I feel that corn will do a lot better if it is keep clean, grass and anything compete's for the moisture for the crop when it is growing and setting ears for harvest.  I do seed my strips down with rye , if I get time, but usually use buckwheat if I can find it.  It really grows very fast when the ground temp is up over 70 degree's.

Phil from Iowa